Applications for the Benjamin A. Gilman Scholarship are now open for summer 2013 and fall 2013! These are an excellent resource for students looking for ways to fund study abroad. Eligibility requirements:
- The applicant must be receiving a Federal Pell Grant (or provide proof that he/she will be receiving a Pell Grant at the time)
- The applicant is applying to or has been accepted into a study abroad program eligible for credit by the student’s university
- The applicant is studying abroad for at least four weeks in one country.
- The applicant is studying abroad in any country except Cuba or a country on the U.S. Department of State’s current Travel Warning list.
What do you need to apply? Along with your transcript, and an adviser to certify your application, you will need to submit a personal statement and a service proposal project outlining how you will promote international education and the Gilman program upon your return.
So if you are thinking of going abroad and you receive a Pell Grant through your school, definitely go to the Gilman website to find out more. And:
- AIFS offers an additional $500 grant to Gilman recipients to help reduce the cost
- Gilman offers additional funds for students studying critical need languages– for our programs that would include Hindi in India, Russian in Russia, and Turkish in Turkey
The deadline to apply for summer and fall is March 5th, so you have time! Where will you go?