Whether you take an adventure with friends or travel alone, studying abroad provides many opportunities to explore and see the world.
Here are 10 reasons why you should consider going on an independent journey.
1. You can purposely book your flight to see the sunrise from a plane.
This photo was taken above Florence, Italy. It was breathtaking to see the sun pop over the mountains! Not everyone gets excited for an early morning flight, but I love the sunrise!
2. You get the opportunity to face challenges alone, allowing yourself to be challenged and grow.
The morning I flew into Paris, I had to use their RER metro system to travel to where I was staying. At one point I found myself alone, in a train station on the outskirts of Paris, with an old French lady mumbling to herself. I had to use my resources and critical thinking skills to figure how to get myself where I needed to go. Eventually I did, and I learned about myself and how I react to new challenges!
3. You have the freedom to wander a new city. (One day I walked 17 miles!)
I love not having an agenda and just having the freedom to explore. This was taken in the Gardens of the Palace of Versailles.
4. If you haven’t already, you get to embrace the Selfie Stick!
Or make new friends by asking if someone can take your picture!
5. You are free to indulge in as many treats as you want without fear of judgement!
For example, in Paris I ate seven macarons, three croissants, and two cups of hot chocolate per day, on average.
6. You can sit and stare, linger, and wonder as long as you wish.
Group travel can be challenging because you have to compromise to do things everyone wants to do, and often you can be running from place to place, which is exciting, but it’s also nice to just soak up what’s round you! This photo was taken from the second floor of the Eiffel Tower.
7. You can take as many pictures as you want, just to get that artsy Instagram.
8. You can meet locals.
Going to dinner alone gave me the opportunity to engage with people around me.
9. You can do what makes you happy and recharge.
To me, this looked like renting a bike and frolicking around the gardens of the Palace of Versailles, jamming to music while walking down the street, and watching the sunset. You have space to refocus and recharge.
10. You have time to think.
Being abroad and traveling challenges your thinking, and perspective on many things. It’s important to take time to process what you’ve been experiencing. Traveling alone gives you all the time in the world to get lost in your own thoughts.